Tuesday, March 27, 2007

lost abroad (again)

il vicino pasta w/ shrooms & chile, a sprite, water, a piece of candy later.

I'm at my place, a ramshackle, dark place, more like 406 1/2. I'm bored as shit, so I wander into the alley, for some reason l=sit or lay down in the dirt. Flipside Todd, maybe Clayton, and a couple of their friends appear, turns out Todd lives right there behind me, they'd been hanging out, but they'd be up for doing some drinking if I feel like coming over. I do, and I have a case of PBR at my place, but I know I have to run out on some inescapable errand, so I go and hang out on the couch for a while, intending to come back and catch up later. Todd's place is old, wierdly familiar. (I think it reminds me some of the crazy old houses of Bisbee.)

I guess I leave on my errand, and I find myself in probably another city, either in Canada, or it could be part of London, more probably. I have an agenda to do my errand and get back and get shitfaced with the boys, but I quickly find myself turned around and lost. I start out around a movie theater, but quickly find myself moving into more of an industrial area, and that doesn't feel right. Then there's some guy, some big kind of husky guy in a grey t-shirt, he's following me, right close. He starts taunting me, giving me little "oi oi oi"s and asking me if I'm gonna get rowdy, all mocking and BS. I'm not interested in this, but he won't fuck off. I quicken my pace just a fraction to move ahead another step, then in one motion turn on my heel and haymaker right into his nose. There's a little crunch, I catch him in the front teeth and his nose. He's stunned and looks really sad, it's pathetic, and I pause and tell him, "I don't feel great about this." But he knows he was asking for it.

I keep moving, now hopelessly lost. I'll never make it back to hook up for drinks with the guys. For some reason I become aware of the old Soviet Embassy in the area, and I can't help but stop by. I'm aware that I'm out of money, and I don't want to really exchange any more, since I'll be back home momentarily, and I inventory in my head, if I even have any money in my account that I could withdraw on my card. Damn it. I go to the embassy. It's the Russian Embassy now, but there are parts that have been preserved and made into a tourist trap. I get to an elevator (start visual refs to the warehouse dream of last week or so), it's already kind of full, and with each additional person getting in, the crowd gives a little cheer. I fill in the last spot right up front, they cheer, I'm concerned that I might be really sweaty, oh well. I realize that I'm taller than everyone else by a foot. The upstairs is mainly a chotchky shop, all shot glasses and Lennin's face on plastic roundels. Blah, and I've no money anyhow. I try to go through the hall into the preserved historical area, but I'm stopped, told it's under construction. I'm powerfully annoyed after the day I've had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home