Tuesday, June 06, 2006

travelling adventures

dreamed this saturday night after humus dinner & beer bust with jonsey

Josh and I are travelliing in London, sitting in a storefront cafe or pub having a bite and a beer. Environment has a green glow to it. I want to get out and about, Josh wants to sit. I promise not to get lost and go walking. Once in the street I find myself naked, but take two newspapers-- one for the front, one for the back-- and charge on. There's some amount of outrage from passersby about me going around that way, maybe some police harassment. The cafe fronts a HUGE plaza/intersection (talkin' the size of Red Square), longer than wide, some massive buildings around it. One is black and made of nesting shapes, like the Sydney opera house, but with Dutch guild house profiles. I make some rounds. trying to reach the black building, but i can't get to it, it's always too far away, always getting further.

I get back to the cafe and Josh is gone-- how will I find him? There's a payphonethat keeps ringing. Is it Josh trying to call me? I never get to it on time, but then a 40's noir street kid-- cap, coat, gloves with the fingertips cut out-- is there and he'll answer it for me, for a price.

We catch a flight to Scotland/India, but there's a stop-over on a small island. (Did we fly in on a pontoon boat?) The island is dominated by a big, old, decaying hotel. We have to go through and down to the docks at the foot of the building. The elevator down is actually a grimy, semi-furnished room, pink or maybe mint green walls. How do you get the door closed? We finally figure out how to force the huge rolling door closed, now how to get this thing moving? Time is short, we need to get down to the docks and catch our boat. We find the small, dumpy button, like an old doorbell, in the middle of one wall and hit it, finally on our way.

We get out to the dock, and there's a huge crowd. We're late and missed our boat, but the guy finds us a space to squeeze in on another. The boats are the size of a bed, flat, like really thick cardboard or gatorboard. The sides are only two or three inches high. Some sorority types are on with us.

We make it. A loud, bright, colorful bazaar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home