Monday, May 22, 2006

managing a restaurant is hard

mega gorgonzola pasta, salad, choco cake, water at marjar's

I'm in a defacto leadership position at IV, and Tara is the actual MOD. It's time to start getting people out, and Pablo is trying to strike a deal with me, he's got something really important to go take care of, but might be able to come quickly back so Ben can go. I tell him that's fine, and he gets his shit together to leave. I tell Tara what's up & explain it to Ben.

Flash to Pablo off work, he's sitting for a moment on the banco. I'm trying to tell him something about La Llerona, but I can't think of how to say it in Spanish until he's gone. Another flash & it's a dark street corner in a big city at dusk. There's a low, broad space, a hovel, and Pablo is reclining in it. Happy as a clam.

Flash back to the kitchen, there's a new guy, a short Mexican kid who seems really pissed off. I ask Tara what he's so mad about, and she says she's not sure, but she doesn't need him attitude. "Does he even know what he's doing?" I ask. "'Oh, I've worked in lots of kitchens,'" she quotes him back to me. But we're skeptical. He seems to just be dithering around, grumbling. I walk over to the stove, grab some chicken breasts, and drop them directly onto the spider. I find a torn morsel of thigh meat and wedge it onto the remaining arm of the spider.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home