Tuesday, April 25, 2006

uncontrollable seedlings

ate il vicino at 5, blizzard at 7.30, had a ramen at 10.

(remembered all of this till i stood up)

A dark place, maybe night all the time. A U-shaped house or apartments with a courtyard between. I am sqatting or almost hovering over a slotted seedling tray, all the square cups are empty. But I plant a seed something like a kernel of corn or a sunflower seed. There seems to be an almost immediate reaction, and from a Hens & Chicks sprouts something else, taller. I think of corn. But I don't realize how fast it is spreading. I go explore perhaps, seems there are crawling things here and there, in the shadows, big bugs or mice or something. Someone points out what I have missed, that I have begun a cycle that is expanding too fast, the plants are growing and growing. Spreading outward from my original planting in concentric circles. Each plant buds up and then sprays a black, blood-like mist of spores that begins another generation. This is threatening in its ferocity, but I also think of how much food we could glean. There is something terrible nearby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home