Wednesday, February 01, 2006

stuck on top of a wall

half a hurricane's disaster burrito, water, 2 fudge'icles, some cran grape juice

I'm in some sort of competition, maybe like the show The Great Race. I'm at a stop, up at my parents' house, but they aren't around. We have the night off, so I want to go out. I know that Levi's band is playing at some club down on Washington (near Hurricane's, incidentally), and I have to find a ride. Some woman, who reminds me of Mary Charlotte from Tucson, is around and has a little white Tercell & offers me a ride. It's still light out, sunny, but I know they're playing at 10pm, according to the flyer, so I want to get going. It's later than it seems. I want to just jump in the car & go, but she's taking forever. Then we get going and it's like she's only going 20 miles an hour. At this rate we'll take an hour to get across town, amd it's already 10:14 according to her dash clock. I don't want to complain or be an asshole, but I'm extremely frustrated. We finally get there (and it's finally dark), but I think it's 11 already. I walk around the club, full of colored disco lights, it's pretty cheesy & 80's. I see people I know, but I don't know if OB's played yet or not.

Back to the competition. I go to Turkey, trekking through an area that's part ruins, part manicured park, part forest wilderness. I scale a white stone wall, but on the other side, it is a huge drop down a steep ravine. How will I get down? I can't go back for some reason, and I have no way to safely land on the other side. (Is it a short wall to a steep incline, or is it a very far drop to a manageable hillside? It seems to change.) I'm stuck, and I begin to freak out. I straddle the wall, which is about a foot wide. I hug it and try not to sway or shift. I'm terrified. Some others finally come, and they have ropes & climbing apparatus, which they sling over the wall and descend. I moan that I've been trapped there for 3 days. They sympathise, but don't help. The guy near me, though, has anchored and wound his rope in a complicated fashion around some trees, which means he doesn't have the length of rope he needs to get down without jumping off the last several feet at the bottom. I don't want to do that, but I think I can get his rope & anchor it just on the wall with a hook of some kind. Do I even need the rope? Can I just drop down & scoot the incline on my butt? I can't tell. Stuck in a loop. I'll never get down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home