Sunday, January 08, 2006

photographing a hairy nun

sweet & sour tofu, ginger soup, late bowl of frosted flakes.

I'm not working at the museum again, but I am on contract to work on a show. Walking around with Lee and Linda through the spaces. The museum is much larger now [first recurrence, from can't remember when]. Now there is a long, broad hallway behind the lower gallery rear door. It is painted on walls and ceiling with crazy, splashed colors. I remark to Lee that the hallway has really expanded a lot, much more spacious. He agrees, says something about taking room out of one of the bedrooms. I realize that the rest of the musem has also been expanded by moving walls outward into other previous spaces. Still some unfinished construction details along the floors & seams around those expansions.

I'm supposed to be taking photos for this show. I have an appointment to photograph a woman. I head out into the countryside, expensive digital camera & tripod in hand. I come to a very large grass circle, surrounded by dirt. She is there, a tiny little nun. Seems very young. Moonfaced. We greet each other and I send her some distance away for me to get her in the landscape. I decide I don't need my full tripod and it turns into a one-legged apparatus. The ruins of a gothic cathedral spring up around the nun, creating a romantic, dramatic shot. The ruins are highly fluid and bulge forward, encircling her. I get down on the ground, move forward, move back, getting shot after shot, the ruins fisheyeing and retreating depending on my angle. I zoom in for a closer shot, snap, and when I see the image (on the review screen, or in my head?), she is naked to the waist, with the body of a mildly tubby middle aged man, with very long, stringy, excessive body hair all over. Only her round face remains. I find the image reather abhorrent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home