Saturday, August 19, 2006

the "in-field incident"

beer bust with chris, late night cereal

I'm working as staff at a women's soccer tourney. I'm going around with a clipboard, trying to get something straightened out; or maybe I'm handing out snacks. Or both. The ball comes bouncing out of a game and past me, I stop it. Then it's actually a men's game, and I decide that I'm going to participate, even though it's not my team. I pick up the ball and intend to throw it back in. A skinny guy comess running up and admonishes me that nobody wants to see a repeat of the "In-field incident," a reference to some epic screw-up that I'm famous for. I feel slighted and needled. I throw the ball in, but my strength is zero and it's a lousy throw, goes nowhere, and gets knocked right back out again. I run to throw again, to the groans of my teammates, and this time the sun blasts me in the eyes and I make some maniac throw into the crush and jumble of players, again useless and I am humiliated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home