Thursday, August 17, 2006

hanging a show at a warehouse dentist's office

pasta with cream sauce and mushrooms, broccoli, onions, garlic, and sausage; water

I'm supposed to hang a pretty big show at my Uncle Thad's new office, which is warehouse scale and just finishing up on construction. There's a big grand opening tonight and there are loads of people puttering around, caterers, contractors, well wishers. It's arranged into operatory cubicles, but on a huge scale-- each "cubicle" is easily 30 feet wide and 60 feet long. Each has a concrete floor with a long ramp down into the room from the main hall at one end. The artworks are supposed to go up on the long walls, which means there is the straight wall (they don't reach the very high warehouse ceilings) vs. sloping floor problem. I need to ask how they want this done, so I go in search of my dad to ask [how ridiculously Freudian], as he is apparently Jefe on this project.

Looking huge room to huge room, I get to the front room and there are a bunch of rich bastards up there sucking up to my uncle. They hand him an envelope and he opens it. It's a prize (the "Park Prize" maybe?), and he reads it aloud, that he gets $200,000. Of course he is hugely happy, but he acts like it's a lifesaver for his starving family, rather than just a nepotistic toss off from some rich society friends. Everyone is highly self-congratulatory and the crowd breaks back up into milling rich people.

I finally find my dad and explain the issue. I tell him that you can either measure from the floor or the ceiling, and he looks at me like I'm crazy and just being particular. I insist that if you want a long row of artworks to be hung straight that you do indeed have to measure. He's dubious, but I drag him back to the last giant operatory to show him. In the meantime, however, someone has gone ahead and hung the objects, and rather HIGH, right up against the top edge of the wall, so that they start off natural at the entry, but are way over your head by the end of the room. Dad doesn't like it much, and neither do I. I feel really undermined and wonder who is fucking off like this. Am _I_ supposed to hang this shit or not?

[sidenote on the artwork. All abstract horitz oils on canvas. Some are very flag-like with heavy, knifed application, rather like Jasper Johns. Others are more wild and all over. At least one, in the middle of the wall, is very long, maybe 7 feet, and only a foot high. The overalll effect of the hanging is kind of a rainbow shape. Double hung at one end, up to one, the long in the middle, and then double hung at the other end. It doesn't look right.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home