Friday, July 21, 2006

are you old enough to drink or not?

Vespa sandwich from IV, water, otterpops

I'm at work, but more at the dreamland IV that I've been to before. A relatively new server is talking to me and his girlfriend, apparently it's her birthday. He wants to sample her on the beers, and he pulls out these little 4oz clear plastic ramekins and starts pulling beers into them. I stop him and tell him that there's a better way to do this, and show him the proper glasses to build a sampler. I start to pull some Irish, but then I pause. "Hey, are you old enough to drink?"

But the guy won't give me any straight answer, says that he has two ID's, so it's okay. "But, do they [the restaurant] know that you're not 21? 'Cuz if they do..." His face keeps switching between his [I don't know this guy] and Jonas' face. I look up to where he put his plastic ramekinis of beer and they're turned to floam and grown out the top of the containers, into big fluffy domes. One is pinkish, another is green like ground pistachios, another is a tan color. I laugh and show everyone what happens to our beer when it touches plastic, apparently. I turn and the girlfriend has changed into an IV shirt and is putting her hair up, standing by the register. "It's your birthday and you have to work? That sucks!" I give her a kiss on the cheek. And if she's working, then it doesn't matter how old the two of them are, and I let it go. I think about maybe we could use a melon baller and make some strange dessert out of the floam beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home