Monday, June 20, 2005

land of the dead

basic mac & chz meal, 4 hamms. sleepless until roughly 2am. dream right before i woke in the morning. (Land of the Dead doesn't come out for another week, mind you)

We are the some of the last holdouts from the zombie hordes. Slums around a river. Most surfaces are white but dirty. I am protecting a group of kids, kind of a church youth group. And their parents are there. Also some people my age, and there is a some sort of sexual interest I can't recall. [I think that I am a powerful spiritualist and leader, but I have not revealed myself.] We are holed up in a blown-out hotel. Everything is going well, but then there is all this noise, drilling. I find that a man with a giant drill is drilling cores out of the side of the building. I ask him when he thinks he will be done, as it is late and we are trying to sleep. He says, "January," because that's the schedule. I point out that all of his noise is attracting a lot of attention, but he doesn't care. Then, zombies come. We have to go. I get all my kids together & we move off through the early morning. Up over a rusting building with a slanting roof. Hard to get everyone up and over.

We get to an apartment building, sort of roadwarrior-ish society. This is a place run by a few warlords. We don't have time for all this, we get inside and up several floors. My Man is there, he is somone I knew who was killed by the zombies & turned, but I was able to reclaim him. But only for a project. I am recreating him as my own monster, slowly gathering the parts. He is made of cast iron. All that's left of him that is particularly human is his head, and he is genteel and british, gallant. But he is a thing I intend to use against the zombies.

There is unrest at this apartment compound. We are not particularly welcome, but I am influential enough that there are only minor disagreements. One of the warlords (all of whom are Hispanic, it seems; this is their place, and we are gringo pains in the ass) does take a shot at me with a pistol from the street when I am out on the balcony, but it is meant only to remind me of my place and I can accept that.

In the midst of all this, I have been coming and going, activating a host of other somewhat robotic dragoons around town, I sneak out, sneak back. Across a ruined urban landscape, up & over and around and always just ahead of zombie crowds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home