Tuesday, September 25, 2007

andy needs surgery

fried okra & water at 66 diner, later a cup of atole before bed

I have to visit Andy at the hospital. He's having surgery on his heart or a lung or something. I get to his room and he already has a bandage over his heart, but I realize from what the nurse is saying that he's only prepped for the procedure, he's not done. He's sitting in a chair, and the bandage is on top of his t-shirt. He does seem really out of it, though. I can't tell if he's just freaked out and avoiding conversation, or if he's drunk. But when he starts playing serious air guitar, complete with an "I'm-so-intense" rocking face, and there's not even any music playing. I try not to bust out laughing, though I'm not sure he is even really aware of my presence. I kneel down and try to talk to him. I can't speak very well, though, due to my recent head injury. I wonder if the nurses know that I'm an agent.

Later I go out for a sandwich at a Subway type place. I think I'm maybe in Durango, some place with clean air and a brick mainstreet. While I'm in the restaurant, I decide I might as well try to land a job. They seem to be doing interviews, why not just get in line. My restaurant experience might be a little overstated for a corporate sandwich shop, but I'm ready & willing to work, and I can make them see that. The interview goes well, even though I think I'm still not speaking very well. The manager hands me over to a trainer. I think I'm supposed to be a cook, but maybe not. Or maybe everyone does everything around here. My trainer asks me if I can do dishes. I'm momentarily taken aback, but hey, I don't mind doing dishes. But my response was maybe a bit reluctant. My trainer doesn't know how he feels about that. I find mysef out in the street. I guess I don't have to figure out what to tell my current work about me getting a new job, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home