Tuesday, June 05, 2007

am i an art fraud?

dinner at seasons with jj, roasted veggies, asparagus salad with arugula & mushrooms, potatoes with goat cheese, sesame string beans, water water water.

I'm at the Art Museum, and I look at a wall label or calendar and realize that they have changed the exhibition schedule. I'm opening TONIGHT, as in right now. Fuck, well, I guess I'd better get some art on the walls, good thing I've been working. The impromptu MFA show-- what could be better, no? And then all of the sudden, the Coke Gallery-- which no longer has the alcoves but is just straight on that side-- is lined with my work. A series of acrylic and maybe enamel paintings, extremely pop. [Obviously inspired by a combo of the Koch show at Matrix and the Obsessive show at 516.] Wow, I HAVE been working. I frankly don't even remember making most of these. I do know that I purposely made this series to be extremely pop and extremely commercial-- I want these things to be desireable commodities. Both for the money, and to prove to the sticks in the department that fun, saleable art can fly in this academic crap world, too. To my astonishment, before I even have all the labels up, a front desk employee comes around and stickers one of my pieces as sold. I didn't even realize that the museum was willing to sell from its shows. I look around, there are others stickered, too. But I don't even know what price I'd put on these. I just say $200, for the hell of it, go ahead and get rid of them I'll make more. But then I look back, and the ones I thought were sold aren't but others are. I can't really keep track. I go out into the main gallery and suprisingly my show continues there, all the way up the north side of the gallery. (The south side of the gallery is showing someone from Rio Rancho.) And they're still installing my pieces up toward the front. What a mess. The museum is filling up, people are already buying stuff, and we're still hanging? I go to help. A piece with a literal 3D wireframe box, 20 x 8 x 8", a triangular wire that juts up from the rear plane about 36 inches, an ostrich-sized eggshell half on the tip. A block is already mounted on the wall but why? How do I hang this? I don't have any recollection of this piece. I'm trying. People are talking to me. Where's Josh? I know he's here, I wish he was beside me. I finally figure out how the wire and eggshell piece goes on the wall. The mounted block is actually a sconce and it illuminates the eggshell half. I'm getting wierded out. Is my show TOO commercial? Is it not art anymore? My mom's there, I want to ask her, but she wouldn't really understand the question. I don't remember making any of this art. I'm really panicking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home