Monday, April 30, 2007

my segway is a piece of junk

leek pasta salad, shortcake with strawberries & fresh whipped cream, beer

I'm trying to get up Central Ave. in a rainstorm, headed for a small sandwich & boba shop that is probably located around Buster's. It seems best if I pretend to be handicapped, though, and ride this wierd sit-down segway. I'm headed east on the south side of the street, but there's construction and lots of people grouped under awnings, and I can't easily get through. And I'm having real trouble controling my segway. It's all joystick in the right hand action, but sometimes pushing forward makes me move forward, sometimes it makes me lurch to one side, or what have you. And somehow I keep listing to the left, to the point that I fall out of my segway chair. Which is not only embarrassing, but also it kind of blows my cover as being handicapped, as I climb back on.

I get to the shopping center and decide to head up and around through a breezeway. I come to a side door for Mariposa Gallery and I squeeze in. I realize then that I'll have to go down some stairs, which I know I can manage but I've never actually done it before. The stairs are mercifully shallow, and they're painted in different colored stripes, candy-like. I jostle down them in my clumsy craft, barely managing a corner, but coming out much too fast at the bottom end. Bull in a china shop sort of action. I squeeze my way past the many people and displays. I head for the front door, I think Jen is not amused, but she's busy. I think they're having an opening. I get out the front door, and there I am out in the rain agian on the corner. I try to navigate back to my easterly course, but I tumble over into the water collecting on the street. And there's a big hole in the street that I fall into, as well. [I've dreamed of big holes on the streetcorner before, I think.] Big around as a manhole cover, and waist deep, full of filthy water. I'm furious.

I manage to drag myself out, get back onto my segway again. I do make it up the street, but I'm not even certain what I'm supposed to be doing there. The place is green-lit inside, kind of art deco. Reminds me of the old Zurich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home