Tuesday, April 17, 2007

grimy kitchen

leftover enchiladas, asparagus, later a cookie and a slice of strawberry cheesecake

I'm working in a kitchen, but not a very professional one, it's more like a converted old house kitchen, now desperately trying to support a restaurant. Everything is very dated, old, grimy, oily-sticky. I'm new to the kitchen, a definite amateur. Pablo is there, but he's very sullen and I get the feeling I'm in his (and everyone's) way. But we're out of the rice that we need to serve with...something. It's white rice that's cooked with green bells, so it has bright green areas/fluid in it. And I need to get some more going, cuz it's way past time to be keeping up with that. I find a pan, I find the sticky old plastic bag of rice up in the cabinet over the oven. I pull it down, and the corner has been chewed open, and there's a mouse shit sitting right there on the rice. I gag a little, and I panic a little. What will I do? Jen M.(Rohr.) comes up behind me. She's the boss here, she's carrying a cutting board, she wants to put it away right where I'm standing. She starts in on a whole big, "I need to get right there, this thing is heavy, I know because I've done this MANY times," the inference being that I'm green and stupid. But fuck that. Fine, I let her past. I try to quiz her about how she'd like to address our rice question, but she's no help & has no ideas. I bite the bullet, I pour out 3/4 of the rice bag. It leaves us with only 2 cups-- I measure it out in a sticky, grimy measuring cup-- of rice to make, and now I have to make it in the pan. Shit, do I know how to make rice in a pan & not in a rice maker? What's the ratio?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home