Monday, December 22, 2008

That guy just painted over JQ's drawing

Sadie's giant burrito, lots of water. A few cookies and a beer at MarJar's afterward. Vic is in town.

The tail end of a longer narrative.
JQ and I have gathered up a bevy of drawings and taken them to a new photographer, kind of a trial run to see how he does. His studio is a small gallery sort of space with very warm, brown light. Seems like there's art hung along the walls. He's busy in the center of the room, we wander around and look at this or that. Then I turn and look and lo and behold he is painting over the JQ's piece, which is a light green affair in the Wallowa Waterhole sort of range. It's different, though, more of a Rothko sort of design, rather like if you took a single element form a WW and blew it up to 30x22. But the photographer is painting over it, doing his own thing to "make it better." I'm shocked and kind of amused. I get JQ's attention and say "What do you think of that?" She raises her eyebrows and says, "Huh. Well THAT'S interesting." We're both just stunned. Why in the world would he think he could get away with that? Who the hell does he think he is?

I finally go and stop him. I explain that these pieces are already cataloged, and I have no intention of cataloging them all again, to say nothing of the fact that JQ's work doesn't need any help from this hack. He's really flippant about it, says something about "Well, it's just this one." I tell him to knock it off, getting increasingly pissed off. Jaune has her hand on my shoulder, lest I tackle or slug this jerk. He's saying, "It's 136 of 160," part of the inventory number. He doesn't understand the numbering system, obviously. But the piece has #83 written on its front, upper edge, in sweeping charcoal. He gives in and puts the drawing into a water bath starts to remove his heavy blue paint and black pooled ink additions. I storm away. In a couple of minutes, though, he holds it up and it's completely restored to its original state. I have to admit that I'm impressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home