Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Will I ever make it over to Stephanie's so we can travel through time?

This was a few nights ago, don't remember what I ate.

I have to make it over to Steph's, cuz we're going to do a little time traveling. But first, I have to hang out with these other people and do this or that. I set off with this young mother and her 5 year old son, walking up the river bank. We choose to go this way, maybe for scenic route value. I'd really like to just get going. After a while I realize that we've diverted out onto this big levee, and it juts out into the water. Her son doesn't care, he charges on and jumps into the water to swim happily back to shore. I go in after him, a precaution rather than an emergency. He does dip under a bit, but he's really just having fun. I, on the other hand, am not particularly pleased to be in this murky water, my clothes soaked or even ruined.

We get where we're going, a restaurant or some other public place along a street that borders the river. I really need to head back and get over the Stephanie's. Someone tells me that there is a road closure, though. I was going to take the bus back, fast and easy rather than going the grubby river route. Well, damn it.

I do manage to take a shuttle or something down at least part of the road, which is rather like Nob Hill. And I make it to Steph's house. She answers the door, balancing a kid in her arm. Her house is an absolute disaster. Debris and trash is not only piled in the floor, but has been kind of bulldozed into a levee-like embankment that runs around the end of one room, knee deep. Her tim travel device is an old Nintendo model, and she can't quite put her hands on the right controller for it. I get down on my knees to peer back into the crumbling, grimy TV stand to look for it. I can make out dead roaches back there, and big dust bunnies. I'm surprised that their house has gotten to this state. We do find the controller and we're able to take our time jump.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home