Wednesday, November 08, 2006

pee wee makes the plane wreck less horrible

Election night. Jaegermeister shots. Pasta & bread sticks. Late night quesadilla.

Travelling with my parents, Eric, Gentry, and my wife, played by a sort of Gentry/Flo hybrid. Flying in a giant airplane, bigger inside than a 747. The environment is gritty, golden, murky, hung with asian carpets. An overhead rack that spans much of the center of the plane is suspended by ropes & is made of wood planks & netted rope. [similar environment to the apartment in a recent dream]

Take off is a little janky. But when landing, the plane tilts back almost to a total vertical. Obviously we're in giant trouble. My wife is hunkered way way down in her seat, her feet up on the seat in front of me. I lean over her, kiss her gently, we say we love each other. At least we're together. A giant, squared, industrial arch reaches over the runway and we smash into it, the front 2/3 of the plane is ripped off and obliterated. We're at the back and it about 15 rows ahead of us that rips off. People go flying out, we cen see the sepia sky. But our section lays down and skids to a stop and we are alive. We get out, suprisingly untraumatized. Our bags are in the overhead rack, and we start to sort them out. I can't find my plain brown leather duffel. I think it will turn up.

My parents still intend to catch a connecting flight and are getting antsy. We're in and out of a small terminial building. And up trots Pee Wee. I don't register at first, I'm very very confused. But then I realize that she's come to find me, and my heart melts, a pick her up. I have no leash so I'll just have to hold her to keep her safe. My parents are still itching to get on another plane. But I can't leave Pee Wee, I insist on taking her home. The only way to get her there is to walk, and we start off. I have to get there and back in an hour. I set out, and we're in the center of the Albuquerque Academy campus-- easy, it's only a few minutes to our place. It's night suddenly. I carry Pee Wee some, she just follows me the rest. We go up the side of a big hill. At the top there is a river and waterfall we have to cross. I carry her across the hexagonal sculptural cement elements that step-stone across the horizon of the waterfall. From there we're home free. We get home, to a place much like our old house at 406 1/2. I get some stuff together-- my bag is gone, with my clothes, my books, and my travellers' checks. I thank Pee Wee for coming for me. I have to go.

Josh is there-- oh! can I get a ride back? I'm running late and my plane leaves in 10 minutes. He agrees, I drive. But we're in New York but kind of still in Albuquerque. I'm lost, though. The shock is setting in. I'm disoriented, I find myself on 2nd street, have to double back to Yale. But how do you do that? I'l never make it. The plane leaves in 5 minutes. Too bad.

(I woke up, let Pee Wee out, convinced her to come back to bed with me instead, kissed on her and told her what a good dog she is until I could get back to sleep.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home